About the event

Every year, the Inland Waterways Association runs a major event during the summer. In 2011, it's at Shobnall Fields, Burton on Trent, on the Trent and Mersey Canal. For the first time for a long while, it will be from the Friday to the Sunday of the last weekend in July, rather than the Late Summer Bank Holiday.

Like a lot of other volunteers, we'll be there for three weeks, starting on Saturday 16th July. Our main contribution will be editing and producing the daily newsletter which is circulated to the boaters, campers and exhibitors at the Festival, starting on the Thursday before.

Disclaimer

Note: this is an entirely personal account of our time helping to set up and run the Festival. It's not an official IWA site; please use the link above for that.

Tuesday 2 August 2011

The final post: why we won't be back

Site knock down has gone really well this year, helped by the continuing fine weather, so that there's no mud to slow you down, or rain to send you diving for shelter. Another powerful factor has been the wrg leader, Al Moore; her campers have clearly been inspired and motivated by her.

The very limited distribution spoof issue duly went out yesterday morning. Much of its silliness was appreciated, but a piece in which I attempted to mimic the contrarian style of Steve Haywood's column in Canal Boat misfired badly in some quarters. In it, I challenged the purpose of the whole exercise, and this was taken by just a few people in senior positions, it seems, to be a criticism of the substantial effort that goes into mounting the show.

As a result, we had to sit with gritted teeth during the congratulatory speechifying last night as Ian West described it as "ill judged", so that we were  the only part of the whole operation not to be told how well we'd done. That's all right, it was only most of four weeks work designing, editing, printing and distributing the thing, not to mention this blog.

Just for the record, no one could doubt the incredible achievement that is the Festival, a huge weekend show mounted by volunteers, with the only professional input coming from the parts that absolutely have to be professional, like the marquee erection, the power supplies to the traders, the security cover and the like.

I have nothing but admiration for the way the volunteers throw themselves into the tasks and work amazingly hard for no return other than a sense of achievement and satisfaction.

But... with no Festival next year, IWA is quite rightly taking the opportunity to have a policy review of the aims and purposes of the event. I shall be seeking to make my own input to that, so do feel free to email me or to comment on this blog with any thoughts you may have.


  • Should the Festival carry on as it does at the moment?
  • Should it be focussed more tightly on one or other of its aims?
  • Should it happen at all?


Next year there will still be the Canalway Cavalcade in London, the trail boat rally and the campaign rally, so there will be plenty of IWA events to attend.

This has been our eighth National Festival, and before we got here, we had decided that enough was enough for the time being. Recent events have done nothing to change our minds, so we won't be going to the 2013 Festival in Newbury or wherever else it happens, assuming it happens.

We do plan to attend Cavalcade, though, at the beginning of May, so if you are about the Paddington Basin and Little Venice area that weekend, do look in to see us!

For now though, it's goodbye from here. Tomorrow's post will be over on Living in Sanity Again, probably posted in the late afternoon as usual.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it all ended on a bad note for you and Sheila, Bruce, after all the hard work you have put in. Sorry we didn't meet either of you at the Festival but I've no doubt our paths will cross somewhere on the cut soon.

All the best, Ann

Dave Winter said...

Hi,
Just a note to thank you for posting this blog.I realise it takes a lot of effort to compile after a hard days work.
As an observer on anything canal orientated I found it interesting to read how everybody worked together in a good spirit which I think is the essence of narrowboat life.Take criticism with a pinch of salt,life is too short to worry.

No Direction said...

Well we enjoyed the blog and looked forward to the newsletter each day so thanks for doing it, we would have no doubt enjoyed the spoof one as well.

Maybe you touched a raw nerve with those in a "Senior Position" or, perhaps you just don't relise how very important they are.

No Direction said...

Whoops, sorry about the spelling.

Anonymous said...

Thought you did a great job. Enjoyed all yor blogs.
Have a good rest

Mike

Dogsontour by Greygal said...

I've really enjoyed the blog, Bruce, but I'll be glad to have you back where you belong. My days are not the same without you and your Independent. Thanks for all your efforts here - but time for Sanity Again, methinks.

All the best

Greygal

P.S. Stuff 'em if they can't take a joke

Anonymous said...

Hi you two

You already know how I feel about the piece in the spoof issue!! Suffice it to say that I, among others, made a point of being seen speaking happily to Bruce and Sheila after the uncalled-for comment at the end of show party. The piece is already provoking much needed discussion about the future of the festival and interestingly the good Mr Haywood has posted in a very similar vein on Nonet.

Before I left I gave Ian West a small sample of my views including what will become my sig on the new mailing list (if it allows responses) "No change is not an option".

I don't blame you for taking time off from the festival. Many of us know the sterling work you've both done over many years.

Guy

Bruce in Sanity said...

Thanks one and all for your support, it is much appreciated, especially those who, like Guy, took care to be seen speaking to me after Ian's remark on Monday night.

I've had an email from Ian, by no means entirely negative, but reiterating his view that the spoof newsletter piece was badly judged, and observing that, just as I didn't have a chance to reply to him on the night, he doesn't have an opportunity to reply to me on this blog.

/hmm

I've told him that he's welcome to comment here, but also that if he chooses to give me some text, I'll add it to this blog post and draw attention to it on Living in Sanity Again.

Once more, thank you one and all for your support, Sheila and I do really appreciate it.

All the best

Bruce

Brian and Diana on NB Harnser said...

Firstly I have always found at these events and I have been critical in the past, its always taken as a criticism of those doing the work. Which it wasn't. In fact I think it was St Ives where WRG worked their socks off due to the state of the site.

O a note to "Travelling in no direction" I think you should have said "how very important they think they are.

Dorothy said...

I didn't see the spoof edition - a fine tradition started by the sadly missed Mike Stevens, and no doubt ably continued by your good self. Would it be possible to put it somewhere on the web where it could be downloaded, or alternatively, could you be so kind as to send me a copy? I know the National is a big commitment in terms of volunteers' time (many years ago I was one of those volunteers) but I would like it to continue because it is an awareness raising exercise for the IWA. From a personal perspective, it gives focus to summer boating. I gather that there are many voices being raised against continuing with the National, and it will be interesting to see the debate develop.

Thanks for the plug for Canalway Cavalcade, which goes from strength to strength. I only hope that the May Day Bank Holiday continues too.

Anonymous said...

You may have put 4 weeks effort into your blog but the newsletter contained anything but news. It was obviously prepared weeks in advance and contained nothing about the events in the arena - the Vikings were brilliant, the bikes fantastic, but, if you saw them, you did nothing to encourage others on site to find the time to go and watch.

The Monday edition gave no news of the prizewinners from the Awards ceremony on Sunday. I spent 5 hours in an office that day and couldn't attend - I still don't know who won what and that was the sort of thing I expected to see in a newsletter.

As for the wrgies not needing help at the end, they were still struggling to take down fencing in the rain on the very last day..... Where were you? Up at Branston probably.

I am not a manager, just an ordinary blue shirt who put in an honest day's work every day, and that's what festivals are all about.

Bruce in Sanity said...

Brian: it does worry me that any criticism is taken to be denigration of those who work so hard to stage the event. It's precisely because so much hard work goes into it that it's important that it achieves its aims, whatever they are.

Dorothy: Thanks for your comments and thoughts about the National. I find my ideas about are still in flux (yes, really), so any thoughts from others are helpful. I don't think it would be appropriate to put the spoof issue on the web; It was meant purely for those who worked at the event, and clearly has the power to upset some, so I reckon it's better just to leave it alone.

Anonymous: Thanks for your feedback about the newsletter; negative stuff is so often more useful than praise. I don't think all of your criticisms are justified (we gave the Vikings a good plug, for example) but I take the point that more actual news of the day would have been good.

For the record, all the copy was either created whilst we were on site, or came from stuff the various exhibitors and entertainers provided to us. The earlier work had been chasing those people, and designing the layouts.

Each of the four official issues had to be approved by Ian as Festivals chairman, which made getting late stuff in difficult. The spoof issue was in no way official, and including stuff like award winners would have been out of place. I'm sure Paul Chilvers would send you a list if you got in touch with him.

I'm sorry to have made you feel so bitter and angry towards me; it must be horrible to feel like that.

Hopefully, the next editors of the newsletter, at Newbury or wherever, will prove more satisfactory to you and those who feel as you do.

All the best

Bruce

Grumpy Nick said...

Methinks that some folks forgot that the final edition of the festival newsletter is an in house spoof and is supposed to be read tongue in cheek. I personally felt that you and Shiela were wronged in being brought to book in such a public manner - was Ian pressured by someone? So much so that I absented myself from further proceedings that evening.
I would urge the anonymous blue shirt, 10:29, 5 August, to count to ten before making such acerbic comments in an open forum. Such devisive comments ought not to be aired in public.
I'm not a veteran wrgie with thirty festivals under my belt but I've done enough to know that red and blue shirts are co-dependant and that the festival just would not happen without the support, expertise and professionalism of ALL involved.

Anonymous said...

Dear Grumpy Nick
I have counted to ten but at the top of the page Bruce clearly states he is interested in everyone's comments.....